Staten Island student pummeled, pistol-whipped outside of school, prompting lockdown: NYPD

A Staten Island high school was put on lockdown after a student waiting on the sidewalk for a city bus was pistol-whipped by a rival in a caught-on-video attack, police said Tuesday.

The 16-year-old student was waiting for the bus near Susan E. Wagner High School on Manor Road at about 3 p.m. Monday when two attackers jumped out of a blue vehicle and charged the teen.

Video taken by a student shows the teen on the ground being pummeled by one of the suspects as a city bus and a school bus idle nearby.

One of the suspects, dressed in a blue jogging suit, repeatedly punched the victim, then cracked him over the head with the butt of a pistol before jumping back in the car and speeding off, cops said.

The attack sparked a two-hour lockdown at Wagner High, although the dismissal bell had already rang.

EMS took the teen to Staten Island University Hospital North, where he was treated for bruises and a deep cut to the left side of his head.

No arrests have been made. Education Department spokesman Nathaniel Styer said the two attackers did not attend Wagner High.

“Ensuring our students can safely travel to and from school is the top priority of both the DOE and NYPD,” Styer said.

One student was repeatedly punched and stomped in the head and another pistol-whipped outside a Staten Island high school Monday — weeks after another brawl at the same school, sources told The Post.

Video of the confrontation shows one Susan Wagner High School student being stomped while curled in the fetal position while another lies on his back as an assailant hovers over him with what appears to be a gun in his right hand.

Sources said the assailant struck the prone teen with the firearm at some point.

The Department of Education said the two attackers were not affiliated with the school.

Sources said parents at the Staten Island school are furious about a lack of timely and forthright communication from administrators about the incident.

DOE sources said the school initially sent out a robocall informing parents of an unspecified incident early Monday evening. They noted the presence of a gun in a subsequent robocall at 8:20 Tuesday morning.

Meanwhile, sources said the school was placed on lockdown yet again Tuesday afternoon after someone reported seeing a teen brandishing a firearm outside the school. Law enforcement sources said three teens were taken into custody and that a gun was recovered.

And in yet another videotaped brawl recorded Monday inside the school, several students were seen beating each other in a gym area as staffers tried to intervene.

School safety agents have been cautioning parents about a staffing dips that have left them shorthanded in challenging circumstances.

City Councilman Joe Borelli (R-Staten Island) said Tuesday that troubling scenes in and near schools should not come as a surprise.

“The decisions to erode school safety agent staffing levels and the broader decoupling from the broader NYPD has been a disaster from the get-go,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s